Lawyers’ Mutual continues in our mission to support California lawyers, always finding ways to give back to your member community.
For the past 24 years in the month of November, Lawyers’ Mutual has paid its members an annual dividend.*
However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, your Board of Directors has announced a provisional 4% dividend to support qualifying members at this difficult time.**
Lawyers’ Mutual appreciates your continued support; keep an eye out in June for the arrival of your dividend check.
Serving our members is at the core of everything we do. Should you need additional assistance during this unprecedented moment in history, we encourage you to call us for additional support.
Our strength is your insurance.
*Dividends are paid at the sole discretion of the Company’s Board of Directors and past dividends do not guarantee the payment or amount of future dividends.
**Members of record as of June 1, 2020, who paid a premium on a one-year policy with an effective date between November 1, 2018 and October 31, 2019 in the amount of 4% of the total premium paid on said policy as of June 1, 2020.Read More
Lawyers’ Mutual and Veritext joined together to include best practices and key considerations for preparing for a remote deposition. Find out what you need to continue moving litigation forward in the digital world. Topics include:
- The components of a remote proceeding
- Staying secure in a virtual world
- Technical requirements and setups
- Preparing the witness
- Reporter opening statements
For the seventh year, Lawyers’ Mutual makes available once again to its members the 2019 Year-in-Review presentation by Edmund G. Ferrell, III and Robert A. Olson, joined this year by Ellie Ruth, Esq., at the 59th ASCDC Annual Meeting, in which they highlight significant cases decided at the California State Court level and Federal Court from 2019.
Sample topics covered include:
- General Liability
- Statute of Limitations
- Government Liabilities
- Litigation Privilege
- Assumption of the Risk
- Premises Liability
- And much more…
Don’t miss this comprehensive review!
This seminar was recorded on January 30, 2020.
Login here to our CLE/Member Portal and receive 1.75 hrs of General credit.Read More
An essential conversation about emerging malpractice exposures, best practices and risk management to keep you and your practice issue free.
Lawyers’ Mutual has produced an educational CLE video conversation with our very own Chief Claims Officer and Certified Legal Malpractice Specialist Anne L. Thompson, Esq. alongside Professional Liability Litigator & Expert and Certified Legal Malpractice Specialist Randall A. Miller, Esq.
- Emerging COVID-impacted Attorney Risk
- What is the “new normal”?
- Where are the issues in a pandemic-impacted law practice?
- What are your cyber risks?
- Will your prior work be scrutinized?
- What are anticipated bases of malpractice exposure?
- Best Practices to Manage and Mitigate Risk
- Stay current on all developments.
- Become proficient on remote communication and management.
- Be aware of all challenges.
- Be cognizant of what lawyers/peers are doing.
- Consider carefully what – and what not – to raise with courts.
- Consistent ongoing communication with clients.
- Communication with attorneys and staff.
- Education on “best practices” for remote delivery of professional services.
Log in here to earn 1.0 hour Ethics and 0.25 General Credit.Read More
Whether you are preparing your very first deposition or your
one-hundredth, our very own General Counsel, Brian A.
Rawers, provides guidance for some, reminders for others, and useful
information for all. Brian has been practicing law since 1982 and covers
six important matters to help you conduct a better deposition.
- The proper marking and use of exhibits – Your exhibit has a first name and a last name
- Admonitions and stipulations – Why these are very important
- The importance of Kennemur v. Superior Ct. – Tying off the expert witness’ opinions
- The importance of Rifkind v. Goode – Don’t ask “discovery” questions
- Deposing an expert witness – Doing a cross exam vs. looking in opinions
- Civility – You catch more flies with honey
Click here to earn 1 hr CLE in General Credit.Read More
Lawyers’ Mutual will be extending our ‘Virtual Office’ protocols.
We continue to adhere to the extended “Safer at home” guidelines. Our day to day operations will continue in line with our Business Continuity Plan, with usual business operating hours from Monday – Friday, 9 am – 5 pm.
We will continue issuing all policy documentation electronically via email to our members. Again, if you do require a paper copy of your documents these will be provided to you at a later date when our usual business operations are permitted to be resumed.
We are actively encouraging where possible to make premium and deductible payments through our online payment portal.
All of your member benefits are still available, such as Fastcase legal research system, our CLE library and our lawyer-to-lawyer hotline for any questions, queries or concerns you may have.
For your convenience below are the general email addresses for each of our departments.
Member Benefits: email@example.com
Lawyers’ Mutual remains open and operational because our strength is your insurance.