There’s a secure future in stability
For the past 40 years, Lawyers’ Mutual Insurance Company has been dedicated exclusively to insuring, educating and advancing the interests of California lawyers so that their practices, their future and their clients are protected and improved. We invite you to explore our newly designed website and video and it is our sincere hope that you enjoy our vision for the future. As the industry leader, Lawyers’ Mutual continues to be the premier provider of professional liability insurance, loss prevention education and related services to the lawyers of California now and for years to come.
We have cultivated a unique relationship with our members due to the “mutual” aspect of our company. We created a company for lawyers and directed by lawyers. Serving our members is at the core of everything we do, and we are very excited at what the future holds. Our members enjoy the peace of mind that comes with a Lawyers’ Mutual policy and the backing of 40 years of experience. We look forward to working every day to provide the best experience and value for our members.
Lawyers’ Mutual President & CEO
Strong roots that stand the test of time
Because we believe that a strong foundation is the key to lasting success, we place an emphasis on providing essential tools to ensure the longevity of your career, including continued legal education. We offer exclusive access to free online MCLE to our members, with over 100 hours of MCLE certified video seminars and self study materials saving thousands of dollars over commercially-available courses.
Sign in to our CLE portal on your desktop or download our mobile app
Coverage you can count on in every season of your career
Specialized rates for distinctive needs
low-cost program design to comply with the rules of the State Bar of California.
Have you received a request for a wire transfer? Before moving forward with disbursement of any funds entrusted to you, consider the following:
Step 1: Red flags
- Receiving an urgent email to disburse funds.
- Communication that does not match original wire instructions.
- Slight variations on an email address of the sender.
- Communication request via email only (without verbal instructions).
- Messages from the sender using incorrect spelling or odd phrases.
- Incoming phone call requests from an unfamiliar contact number.
- Request for urgent wire transfer after receiving an unexpected check from your client.
Wire fraud generally involves an attempt to defraud your firm, your client and could damage your reputation; therefore consider implementing the following:
Step 2: Preventative measures
- Ensure well-defined protocols are in place for all wire transfers.
- Initiate verbal authorization no matter the urgency of the request.
- Institute electronic security and authentication controls.
- Educate employees on the risks associated with phishing schemes.
- Refer back to your clients’ primary contact information.
- Regularly update spam filters and firewalls.
- Before initiating any wire transfer, always call your client.
Cyber criminal schemes are complex, convincing and creative. Protect yourself and your clients by verbally confirming all wire transfers prior to disbursement of funds.